False Beats

Thu, 21 Sep 2000 23:47:18 +0200

Newton Hunt wrote:

> I prefer to CA bridge pins without strings to prevent
> contact with the string and buildup of CA in places hard to
> get to.

I assume you mean in general that removal of bridge pins for application is
unneccesary then ?

> I consider it important that the CA be allowed to work
> itself down to the bottom of the pin hole and then rise to
> the top of the bridge thereby filling the hole entirely and
> holding the full length of the pin in the hole.  If you have
> a miniscus ring stand for a few seconds without diminishing
> you know the hole is fully filled then use a tissue corner
> to wick up the excess.  Otherwise you may not get the full
> benefit of the CA project.

Seems like when it dries out it both soaks into the wood and contracts a
bit. Is this correct ? And if so would a second application do the trick ?

> On the Nordska I would remove an offending string and see
> what is under it

I have read a few posts about what to look for so I am cool on that much..
Still wondering about the affects of CA glue on the wood of the bridge
itself. Seems like it soaks in, and this sorta tells me that there might be
some effect on the general stiffness / hardness of the top say half a mill.
Perhaps this is benificial ?? might help protecting against humidity ??,
might affect the sound ?? any thoughts Newton ?

--
Richard Brekne
RPT, N.P.T.F.