False Beats

Newton Hunt nhunt@jagat.com
Thu, 21 Sep 2000 21:16:46 -0400

Hi Richard,

It is not even desirable to remove the bridge pins although
it is, in my mind, essential to remove the strings.  That is
why I prefer to this job before restringing.

If you are going to use epoxy then you do need to remove the
pins.

As for soaking into the wood, yes it does but considering
the whole volume of the bridge and the little that gets
soaks I can not invision any effect on tone.  It will make
the area more humid resistant.  CA soaks into the wood and
integrated the pin and wood together, that is what makes it
work so very well.  I do pity the poor schnook that has to
try to remove the bridge pins one hundred years from now.

Once the pin hole is filled to the very top with CA it is
not likely to soak into the wood much more unless there is a
way for it to leak onto the bridge or through to the floor.
By that time you are in real trouble anyway so forget the
bridge.

Because CA sets from moisture it may take several hours for
the CA to set and cure with only the amount of moisture
inside the wood of the bridge.  I would allow it to set
slowly thereby creating a very nice bond with the pin and
wood.

Hope this helps easy your mind.

		Newton