Nice Chord

A440A@AOL.COM A440A@AOL.COM
Fri, 22 Sep 2000 05:20:09 EDT

  Billbrpt writes:
<< All of the Well-Tempered Tunings (also called Well-Temperaments) have what
would call a Cycle of 5ths alignment. <snip> It means that the speed of the
Major 3rds will correspond to the
number of sharps or flats in the key signature.  <snip> The range of speeds
however can be from Zero (pure) to an amount that is nearly (but not quite)
the same as in ET.

Greetings,
    Most of the temperaments documented by Barbour,(and later by Jorgensen)
have at least one third that is tempered by the full syntonic comma (21.5
cents).  This is quite a bit different than the 13.7 cents found in an ET
third.

Bill again:
>>I rarely choose to tune such an extreme and early temperament as the 1/4
Comma Meantone. <snip>It really messes up a
piano's tuning, however, about like a 25 cent pitch change might do.<<

    I must partially disagree.  Our next temperament CD has a Scarlatti piece
(K96) recorded in 1/4 C on a Steinway D.  We recorded it last, as I feared
the piano would be completely destablized.  However,  when I retuned the
piano to ET,  I found that the A's were exactly where they should be without
me touching them.  The overall tension on the piano appears to have been the
same for ET as MT!  Some indivdual enharmonic notes required a second tuning
the next day, but changing to 1/4 C is not nearly so drastic a stress on the
piano as a 25 cent pitch change.
Regards,
Ed Foote RPT