Enlightenment

Billbrpt@AOL.COM Billbrpt@AOL.COM
Fri, 22 Sep 2000 19:29:25 EDT

In a message dated 9/22/00 5:48:30 PM Central Daylight Time, Ray@Bentley.net
(Ray T. Bentley) writes:

<< BTW, I think someone on this list has suggested that it also works well
when
 mixed with white glue for certain applications. >>

Susan Kline RPT, who writes excellent articles for the Journal on practical
repairs and who also contributes likewise to this List is the person
introduced the unlikely idea that CA and white or yellow glue can work in
combination.  The two would seemingly be incompatible but as I understand it,
the white or yellow water-based glue serves as a catalyst to make the CA glue
cure quickly.

The two types of adhesives have their respective properties.  I'm not sure if
the final result ends up having some of the properties of both kinds or not.
I can tell you that I have used the idea and have found it to be ideal in
certain circumstances.  One reason for not using the usual accelerator, 1-1-1
Trichlorethelyne, (not sure about that spelling) is that it is toxic and
causes the CA glue to emit highly toxic fumes.  Many alternative accelerators
have been suggested but the white or yellow glue one is the one I find the
most intriguing.

Bill Bremmer RPT
Madison, Wisconsin