Nice Chord

Billbrpt@AOL.COM Billbrpt@AOL.COM
Fri, 22 Sep 2000 19:42:29 EDT

In a message dated 9/22/00 5:46:25 PM Central Daylight Time,
Richard.Brekne@grieg.uib.no (Richard Brekne) writes:

<< Just out of curiosity... I am wondering if any temperament has ever been
contrived
 by taking a basic ET temperament and changing the beat rates of thirds so
that
 their rate of increase in beating speed is spread out more.. in
otherwords... the
 lowest thirds would beat slower then they do in ET, and the higher thirds
faster.
 Probably a dumb idea but I thought I might ask you about it anyways. >>

I don't know about any other modern temperaments, but both Jim Coleman RPT
and I used ET as the model from which to work.  Each of us had our own ideas
about the kind of temperament we wished to create. Working from ET and
leaving the A unchanged allowed both of us to create temperaments that
deviated as little as possible from ET, thus making the piano tuning
compatible with all types of music and all other types of instruments.

If you play the EBVT unison for unison with a piano tuned in ET, many notes
seem to be in tune, a couple have a slow beat and a couple beat slightly.
One technician to whom I referred a customer and who used an Electro Fork
said that all of the notes seemed to be in tune with it as far as he could
tell.  Although I know that it can't really be so, the illusion that is
created is exactly what is intended.

Bill Bremmer RPT
Madison, Wisconsin