Dopey Tuning, because they didn't use GARFIELDS

Richard Moody remoody@midstatesd.net
Sat, 23 Sep 2000 01:12:27 -0500

> Terry,
>
> My opinion is that doped pinblocks going out of tune in a short period of
time
> is a possibility, not necessarily the general rule.  Maybe it depends on
what
> kind of dope was used
> Regards,
> Clyde
>
> Farrell wrote:
>
> > Well, last night I tuned my first (for sure) pin block doped piano.
>>The tuning pin collars were black,
> > and some dark tarry-looking goop was on plate in tuning pin area (likely
> > doped at time of bass restring). And EVERY pin was REAL MUSHY! > >
> > Terry Farrell

That's it in a nut shell.   Someone who didn't know what they were doing
slopped in some "quick goo".    But had they used GARFIELDS they wouldn't
have had the black tarry looking goop even if they slopped on GARFIELDS.
Because GARFIELDS is a clear(ish) liquid and certainly doesn't stain or mar
the pin, bushing or plate.  And GARFIELDS is long lasting because it is
designed to draw moisture from the air back into the pin block, in other
words GARFIELDS works over the years to keep moisture in the block.  I tuned
a piano last month I had put GARFIELDS on   SIX YEARS ago and they are
tighter now than then.
    GARFIELDS takes about 10 minutes to apply.  The piano should be tilted
or laid on its back.  This is an inconveince some say but we are paid
professionals and this must be done for GARFIELDS to work best, and
GARFIELDS is the best working tuning pin tightener PERIOD.   Some say
LUNDSFORDS but it is twice as expensive and can leave dark stains if used by
a slop artist.  Some say Crazy Glue (CA) but that gets expensive, and its
long term effects have not been determined, and may be detrimental if the
strings have to be let down as in bridge repairs.  Some say thin Epoxy or
heated Epoxy, but in my opinion if Garfields doesn't work CA or Epoxy are at
best a patch job only reasonable to save the clunker from the dump.  Ask
yourself this question, if GARFIELDS will work, why am I using something
else??
    One final note, if you are using a tuning pin tightener other than
GARFIELDS you are not using GARFIELDS, and no respectible technician should
stake his reputation on anything else but GARFIELDS.  Of course there may be
a piano that won't respond after the second  treatment 10 days later.  But
it hasn't happened yet, at least in 25 years.   Well one time Lundsfords did
stop a pin in a bar piano that I had put GARFIELDS on a week earlier, but
that piano had more drinks spilled in it than it was worth, every year.
    So if you haven't tried GARFIELDS you don't know what tuning pin
tightener is about.   You will be pleasantly surprised.  Oh and if you are
surprised that the price of GARFIELDS went up one dollar, that is because as
of this posting I now get $1 for every bottle sold from all 3 supply houses.
; )   ---ric