Dopey Tuning, because they didn't use GARFIELDS

Richard Moody remoody@midstatesd.net
Sun, 24 Sep 2000 01:15:39 -0500

> I have since found that CA used after traditional pin dope causes the CA
> work even better. I suspect this is because CA glue is activated by the
> moisture content of the wood. It also appears to cure the *spongizes*
>
> Regards,
> Don Rose, B.Mus., A.M.U.S., A.MUS., R.M.T., R.P.T.

If you never have to do drastic things like let down the strings for bridge
repair CA might be a good patch.   But it is only masking a symptom rather
than curing it.
Because the action of Garfields is to draw moisture back into the wood that
is in effect "curing" the illness if indeed the pinblock is "dried out".
All in all I am glad I treated the pianos I did with Garfields rather than
with CA.   I would go with CA in a second for one or two or 3 or 5 loose
pins but more than that usually means most are loose which means a dried
block.  I  have a piano I treated with Garfields, that was the worst case so
far, which I mentioned this on this list about a year and half ago.  Since
then the lady has been in the hospital so I haven't been back to see the
results.  If I do get back I will surely post them good or bad to the
ist.  ---ric