Rebush Damper Guide Rail

Farrell mfarrel2@tampabay.rr.com
Sun, 24 Sep 2000 21:17:34 -0400

----- Original Message -----
From: "Roger Jolly" <baldyam@sk.sympatico.ca>
To: <pianotech@ptg.org>
Sent: Sunday, September 24, 2000 6:02 PM
Subject: Re: Rebush Damper Guide Rail

> >I've got to go tune a square today that has intermittent sticky dampers.
I'm
> >to the point where I am just going to bring a drill with a 1/4" bit and
fix
> >any sticky ones (when the owner is not looking! ;-). I have tried reaming
> >with smooth rods and protek - both help - for a while.
> >
> >Hi Terry,
>                 Two fixes come to mind. 1. heat the end of the damper wire
> with a Bic Lighter then burnish the bushing with the hot wire.  2. Wet the
> bushing with 50% alcohol and water, install an over sized bridge pin in
the
> bushing over night. It will size the bushing about 002" oversize.
> Regards Roger
>
> Roger Jolly
> Saskatoon, Canada.
> 306-665-0213
> Fax 652-0505

Hi Roger. Thanks for your input. I will file it in the regular grand file. I
did the square on Saturday. The damper wire guides are about 2-inches long
(thick?). I tried several thicknesses of wire and finally ended up using a
kinda thick rubber mute wire - up and down repeatedly pretty fast - it built
up quite a bit of heat. Then squirted some protek down there and it seemed
to work quite well.

Terry Farrell
Piano Tuning & Service
Tampa, Florida