"Wippen" (was "Whippen" cords)

JIMRPT@AOL.COM JIMRPT@AOL.COM
Mon, 25 Sep 2000 00:54:51 EDT

In a message dated 9/24/2000 9:48:16 PM, Keith J. wrote:

<<"I need to replace a few of the threads that attach to the whippen

springson an old English grand. Does anyone have an opinion on what kind of

thread or string is most appropriate?">>

Keith;
 Silk cord is the traditional material for this application. However there
are other cordages which will perform admirably as well. For instance
'braided' dacron or nylon fishing line in the correct size will work just
fine and will last at least as long as the silk will/did. This line comes in
different colors and is available in the off-white that the silk line comes
in.
 I would not think that use of CA would be called for except in an emergency
situation and then only the thicker "jell" variety. If replacement is done
properly, and I understand the application you are asking about, the peg
which is inserted in the string hole will/should be enough to hold the loop
in place while your glue of preference dries. When I have a number of theses
loops to replace I use either hot glue or yellow glue and just a tiny bit
goes a long way for each loop/hole/peg.

 As for the teapot tempest brewing vis a vis "wip", "whip" or "wippen",
"whippen" and the correct spelling thereof..... spell it any way you want to.
 Although it is an admirable goal to want to standardize spellings and
nomenclatures..the nomenclature must be agreed on first before any "correct"
spelling can be acheived.
  As long as these mechanisms are called by variuos names such as "Rocker",
"Repetition", "Wippen" and "Whippen", among others, it is seemingly senseless
to chide others on A "correct" spelling of just one of those names.
You can not buy a set of "Wips" or Whips" from S&S, although you can buy a
set of "Repetitions".
You can buy a set of "Wippens" from Pianotek.
You can buy a set of "Whippens" from Brooks, LTD.
Tokiwa, one of the largest parts manufacturers in the world, calls their
items of this function "Whippen".
Catherine Bielefeldt, in her excellent book on "The Wonders of the Piano"
uses "Whippen" as the preferred spelling and pronounciation of this danged
thingee.
You can't buy "Repetitions" from Schaff Piano Supply, you must buy "Whippens"
because that is what they sell.

Finally Merle, in Piano Parts and their Function, has this footnote:
 "We omit the 'h' in whippen wherever that spelling is used, to help
standarize wippen.  Thusly Merle acknowledges the alternative spelling of
"Whippen" and in fact uses this spelling in various places in the book.

Back to my shell.............
Jim Bryant (FL)