Bass string making (was Hex Roslau wire?)

Mon, 25 Sep 2000 21:01:57 +0200

> >I know that many share your view that hex core doesn't give good tone.  I
> >can't say that I have enough experience to notice.
> >Now, do you have any idea why that is true if it is?
> >Could the process (whatever it is) affect tone?
> >Could the scaling formulas be wrong for hex wire?
> >Is the tension or inharmonicity different and why?
> >I just can't put my finger on any logical reason that hex core would sound
> >different than plain wire.  Could it be that they just take round wire and
> >run it thru a die and then don't anneal it or use some other process to
> >finish it?  I'm really curious.

Hex strings are supposed to have lower and less erractic inharmonicity. I
have
not checked this with my handy dandy inharmonicity analyser. But I have
heard
this so often now I see no reason to doubt it. Just how much lower the
inharmonicity is I have no idea.
--
Richard Brekne
RPT, N.P.T.F.