Bass string making (was Hex Roslau wire?)

Tue, 26 Sep 2000 08:51:03 +0200

Grin... I know the feeling... I got so many projects going I am having trouble
finding time to breath correctly.. Erractic inharmonicity is more commonly
refered to as para inharmonicity. It is really nothing more then real
measureable inharmonicity for a string. This can be positive or negative in
relationship to the expected inharmonicity given by the formulars for such, and
can in extreme cases be even negative to integer multiples of the fundemental.
In bass and lower tenor inharmonicity is really fairly unpredictable and follows
to a much less degree any real pattern then what we see in treble strings.

Why bass strings wound on hex wire display less inharmonicity in general, and
why they seem to conform a bit better to expected inharmonicity (I am assuming
that all that is true) I have no idea.

--
Richard Brekne
RPT, N.P.T.F.