Whippen / wippen

Newton Hunt nhunt@jagat.com
Tue, 26 Sep 2000 09:47:42 -0400

Dear Listers (Listees?),

How soon we forget and how many don't know the history.

In the 1960s Merl Masson, Roger Weisensteiner and I sat in a
motel room in MA debating this very issue for the
Nomenclature book we were preparing.  We chose WIPPEN
because that spelling was far more common in past Journals
and Technicians (pre Journal) than the other spelling and
because of the common pronunciation of the word.

So, the official American English spelling is WIPPEN as
accepted by council and PTG officers of the time.

Merl, who did most of the hard work, is now deceased but
Roger and I are still around to blame and kick.

If you don't like it you have my permission to change it
after I am no longer living.  Not soon!

		Newton