Steinway checking problems

David Ilvedson ilvey@jps.net
Tue, 26 Sep 2000 08:11:10 -0700

You must have the correct curve in the tail.  3.5" radius.  Draw a circle
using a protractor or string/ruler/pencil to see what it should look like.
There are tools available to do this with bench sanders but I use my eye and
a drill with a circular sanding disk while clamping one section at a time.
When correct the hammer should progressively get harder to push into the
backcheck once in check.

David I.
-----Original Message-----
From: owner-pianotech@ptg.org [mailto:owner-pianotech@ptg.org]On Behalf Of
Tom Driscoll
Sent: Tuesday, September 26, 2000 8:05 AM
To: pianotech@ptg.org
Subject: Steinway checking problems

Fellow Techs< Seeking advice on checking problems encountered when
regulating older steinway actions> (Assuming backchecks not worn)< Roughing
tails has helped,  angle changes of the backcheck to steinway service manual
diagrams helps also,but I still can get some hammers bouncing off the
backcheck.> <Balancier springs are not too strong>Raising the height  of the
backcheck seems to be the most  effective> Should I consider replacing
backchecks with a taller profile part?  old wires replaced also or new
backchecks on the origional wires?> Thanks for your responses>< Tom
Driscoll>