Steinway checking problems

Tue, 26 Sep 2000 20:25:12 +0200

Often enough this description fits the heavier hammers in the bass area,
but sometimes well into the middle section. Good regulation is of course a
prerequisit, but also you will find that loose centers, or centers with
uneven bushings will cause this problem. Also if the hammers are not
hitting the strings squarely you can experience this. Worn (as in almost
polished) checking leather is another culprit as is the same situation with
the tails themselves, but you have roughened them already.

Backcheck height can be pretty high, but probably no higher then 10mm,
preferably a bit more. Repetition springs can contribute, but then that
kinda comes under regulation. You need a nice solid (as in definant) rise
upon release, but you shouldnt feel much of this spring upwards in the key.

Another biggie is the height of the backcheck itself, and / or the length
of the tail. At drop with the key fully depressed but the hammer not in
check, the top of the backcheck should be just about the same height as the
bottom of the tail. I personally like it just a tad higher, but standard
practice is about 1-2 mm below.

--
Richard Brekne
RPT, N.P.T.F.