Whippen / wippen

JIMRPT@AOL.COM JIMRPT@AOL.COM
Tue, 26 Sep 2000 12:22:43 EDT

In a message dated 9/26/2000 10:04:14 AM, Newton wrote:

<<"So, the official American English spelling is WIPPEN as
accepted by council and PTG officers of the time.">>

Uhh Newton I think you need to rethink this statement. Or failing that we
should get you a 'T' shirt that says something like "I must hurry and catch
up with the others for I am their leader"! :-))

 As much as I value Merles book, and the work put into it by others such as
yourself, it is still just a 'guide' and not the last, or "official", word on
nomenclature. This is particuarly important when the major manufacturers  use
a spelling other than what you say is the "official" spelling, or call this
danged thingee in question by an entirely different name..

  Since the English speaking world seems to get by just fine with words such
as 'color' spelled as both "color" and "colour" and this because everyone
knows what is being addressed, why should there be a dealli vis a vis
"wippen/whippen?. Doesn't everyone know what is being asked about or
discussed when either spelling/nomenclature is used?

 Standard nomenclatures are desirable in our field but an 'understanding' of
what is being spoken of is even more desirable. Given a choice between
standardized nomenclature, and understanding, I will take the understanding
everytime. Of course 'standardized' nomenclature would help in understanding,
mostly, but what about those languages which have no equivalent words for
what we want to discuss, isn't the understanding most important even to the
detriment of "standardized" spelling/nomenclature? Furthermore what about
those instruments that have a "whippenlike" article that ain't really a
"wippen"?

 As for Merele being the final word on nomenclature...I can't buy that when
the book is replete with examples of multiple names being given to the same
item. Now even if PTG has adopted Merles as being the last word in
nomenclature which is the correct one?
Is it "damper lever" or "underlever"?
Is it the "long bridge", "belly bridge" or the "continuous bridge treble
section"??
Is it the "damper lift rail", "swing rail", "lifting rail" "under lever
frame","damper lever frame", damper tray", "damper table" or is it the
infamous "damper lift board"???

 While I commend Merles Book to each and all for its general excellence and
for its contribution to standardization........ it ain't the 'last word' and
it don't make nuttin "official" vis a vis "American English".

As for those who think "wip" is correct..may the dragon bless you.
As for those who think "whip" is correct...may the dragon bless you.
For those who understand what is being said regardless of being sans "h" or
replete with "h".. may the dragon bless you most of all. :-)
Jim Bryant (FL)