Whippen / wippen

Newton Hunt nhunt@jagat.com
Tue, 26 Sep 2000 16:34:26 -0400

Hi Jim,

I had a pile of paperwork and manuscripts of "Nomenclature"
close to four inches thick.  The nomenclature committee was
created by the council specifically to prepare and
"official" book of nomenclature.  Merle and I did most of
the work spending months going over every piece of
information we could get from every manufacturer who would
give us the time of day.  I don't mean a few hours, I mean
months and months, calling, writing, meeting over a two year
period before the final manuscript was submitted to council,
not the home office, the council, which approved the
manuscript for publication recommended by the home office
and the board.

The mandate came from the council, the work was ours by
appointment, the work was approved by council, the board and
the home office.

There are errors in the book and there are disagreements in
the book but it was and is the ONLY book of it's kind in
existence in the English language.

> > "So, the official American English spelling is WIPPEN as
> > accepted by council and PTG officers of the time."
>
> Uhh Newton I think you need to rethink this statement. Or failing that we
> should get you a 'T' shirt that says something like "I must hurry and catch
> up with the others for I am their leader"! :-))

So, I will stand by my statement and I will be more than
happy to wear the T-shirt provided the other side reads
something like "Forgetful Member, The Retarded Geriatric
Debating Society".

As I said Merle did most of the hard work and I did the rest
with excellent support from the other committee members like
Steve Jellen, Roger Weisensteiner and the others I cannot
remember.  I have moved seven times since that work was done
so I have lost track of the paper work but if you wish you
can go back in the council files and minutes and find that
paper work.

Roger is still around, ask him!

		Newton