Pinblock cracks

Wed, 27 Sep 2000 17:38:09 +0200

Calin Tantareanu wrote:

> Hello!
>
> I have a few questions:
>
> > I aggree with Wim really,,, but on the other hand if you have the time and
> > just plain want it to look good then fill the cracks with some filler...
> sand
> > it all down nicely and give it a nice French Polish. Black polish looks
> great on
> > a Bechstein open face.  Course this precepts that you are thinking about
> > repinning the block..
>
> What does french polish look like? Is it black??? And, why would I make the
> pinblock black - it's lacquered clear now.

French Polish is a method of applying Shellack. Shellack comes in three
variations each with its own tint. It can be coloured with tincture when in
solution and then comes in just about any colour. All this you can do yourself
of course. Tincture is readily available at any hobby store, and at refinishing
supply houses.

Its relatively easy to do a nice looking job on these pin block faces as you
dont have to do a lot of pore filling. You take a "wad" and put a couple
tablespoons of shellack or coloured politure in it, wrap it up in a piece of
roughish cloth. Pound the wrapped wad a couple times and rub a bit on a piece of
scrap wood to get rid of excess lack and to flatten the wad, and then start
polishing the face of the pinblock. Press hard and dont work the lack more then
a little bit at a time or it will melt.

A quick search of the net will yeild you a short but complete description of the
technique. Those polishers who are extremely adept get absolutely beautiful
finishes, but an amature ... yea verily even a beginner can get a nice job on a
pinblock face done with little trouble. A good way to start learning actually. A
word of caution... dont fall for the idea that you need a lot of lack. You need
almost none really. Its amazing how little lack really is needed, and how useing
too much causes nothing but trouble.

--
Richard Brekne
RPT, N.P.T.F.