Pinblock cracks

Calin Tantareanu dnu@fx.ro
Tue, 26 Sep 2000 21:25:35 +0200

> Thanks for the name:

You're welcome! Why did you ask? Didn't it seem like a name or...?

> You described cracks in the pin block that were not effecting torque. With
it
> being a Bechstein, I believe then the pin block area would be open faced.

Yes, it is.

> What you are seeing is not cracks in the pin block, but cracks in the
veneer
> that covers the pin block. These small cracks next to the pins are
cosmetic

I hope they are only in the veneer. But I heard that old pinblocks are made
of a few thick layers of solid wood, not veneer. Maybe you can help here.

> problems, at best. I wouldn't worry about them. The only time pin block
> cracks have to be dealt with is when the torque of the pin is effected,
and
> then only when the torque is getting to the point of tuning instability.

I see. Currently, they don't seem to have a noticeable effect on the tuning,
so I'll leave them alone. I thought of repairing them because I'm just
restoring the piano's finish.

> I hope this helps.

Thanks!

Calin