Pinblock cracks

Wed, 27 Sep 2000 16:53:33 +0200

Calin Tantareanu wrote:

> I hope they are only in the veneer. But I heard that old pinblocks are made
> of a few thick layers of solid wood, not veneer. Maybe you can help here.

Often enough open face pinblocks had a thin veneer on top of what ever block
material was used. It was to make it look nice as it was going to be visable.
This is probably the case here.

> I see. Currently, they don't seem to have a noticeable effect on the tuning,
> so I'll leave them alone. I thought of repairing them because I'm just
> restoring the piano's finish.

If you are restringing / repinning the piano its an easy job to fix these and
make it look really nice.

--
Richard Brekne
RPT, N.P.T.F.