Days

Wimblees@AOL.COM Wimblees@AOL.COM
Thu, 28 Sep 2000 22:51:26 EDT

In a message dated 9/28/00 10:25:43 AM Central Daylight Time,
dporritt@post.cis.smu.edu writes:

<< Our days have so much variety.  That's what makes this business so good
and bad.  Yesterday I spent the morning working on a nice Steinway B here in
my shop at the school.  While doing that I had a nice conversation with an
adjunct faculty member about his 1st place finish last week in the Leeds
Piano Competition.  The afternoon found me under the keyboard of an extremely
dusty Cable spinet removing a hammer butt to replace the hammer shank.  I
also got to tune it for the first time since 1990.  Lovely afternoon.

 dave

I love it when I tune a Steinway one minute (hour), and a 50 year old Betsy
Ross that hasn't been tuned in 50 years the next. It keeps me on my toes. You
also meet the most interesting people like that, in the most unusual
circumstances.

I don't know how some of you guys can stand it, with the cushy university
jobs, tuning nothing but high quality pianos, walking to your tuning
appointments instead of fighting rush hour traffic. It would drive me nuts to
have it so easy.

Willem

PS any cushy jobs out there? :):)