Whippen / wippen

JIMRPT@AOL.COM JIMRPT@AOL.COM
Fri, 29 Sep 2000 00:51:33 EDT

In a message dated 9/26/2000 4:54:11 PM, Newton wrote:

<<As I said Merle did most of the hard work and I did the rest
with excellent support from the other committee members like
Steve Jellen, Roger Weisensteiner and the others I cannot
remember.>>

Newton;
 According to Merles book the purpose of it being compiled was:
"A survey of such sources (builders/techs/teachers/students/performers)
revealed wide variations in the usage of the names of piano parts and
functions. The present task (book"Piano Parts and their Functions") was
undertaken, therefore, as a bringing together into one book of as many as
possible of these terms in common use. To this end, manufacturers and widely
scattered piano technicians were asked to submit their nomenclature lists.
Other sources such as those listed above were carefully studied."

The sub-committee lists:
Merle Mason, Newton J. Hunt and Roger Weisenteiner.

As for the Committee members, as per Merle "Among those to be mentioned in
particular are Messrs. Errol P. Crowl, LaRoy Edwards, Lewis F. Herwig, Newton
J. Hunt, Stephen S. Jellen, John L. Scheer, Carl Warmington and Roger H.
Weisensteiner.
Francis Mehaffey and W. Dean Howell were listed as "valuable counsel".

 While I can find where Council Accepted the Committees report and work,
expressed "deep gratitude" to the Committe for its outstanding efforts and
directed the publication of the book, I can find no mention or allusion
thereto of any "official" status to any terminology as listed in the book.
Perhaps such exists, if so I will stand corrected.

  Let nothing I have said about this valuable resource, Piano Parts and their
Functions, detract from its value. Every tech ought to have one! :-)
BTW what size 't' shirt does y'all wear???
Jim Bryant (FL)