Aural? (self-starters)

Mitch Ruth mitch_ruth@hotmail.com
Fri, 29 Sep 2000 08:18:16 EDT

Bill wrote:

"I have often noticed that some of PTG's very best tuners learned all by
themselves.  In my opinion, it takes that kind of personality to be in this
business: a self-starter, musical talent, experience, perception and a
desire to work very hard at very small details that seem insignificant to
others."

Thanks a lot, Bill!  That post was very encouraging to me as that seems to
be the way I started.  I was friends with the tuner at my University in the
early days and I would spend hours watching him tune and thinking "I should
learn to do that".  I befriended another tuner during a stint as a piano
salesman and thought the same thing.  It was several years later that I
actually learned the nuts and bolts of the thing (thanks Arthur!).  Now I
can almost make my entire living from this craft that I enjoy so much.

To be honest, I was a little intimidated by the PTG up until very recently.
I got some advice from guys who helped me but didn't have much good to say
about the Guild.  Since joining this list however, I have learned soooo much
and I am excited to build my business.  I have determined that as soon as my
budget allows, I will purchase my associate membership.  If I didn't have
umpteen million things going on in October I would attend the Ohio
conference just 30 miles up the road.

Thanks to all you folks who contribute to this list!  I'm pretty good at
this, but I will always be learning.  I truly appreciate those of you who
take your time to contribute for the edification of all.

"Continually Striving We Attain"
Mitch Ruth
DeMossville, KY