Rebushing S&S Damper Rail

Wimblees@AOL.COM Wimblees@AOL.COM
Fri, 29 Sep 2000 20:25:47 EDT

In a message dated 9/29/00 11:40:40 AM Central Daylight Time,
smccloud@ix.netcom.com writes:

<< Paul:
     I am just finishing my rebush job, using two strips of felt.  I was
 wondering, since I sized the holes with a bridge pin, and the pin is
 very tight, will the hole close up after some time and moisture
 changes?  I fear that although the holes are just right now, maybe I'll
 be doing some bushings again in the future.
     Paul McCloud >>

My experience with rebushing the guide rail, and using the bridge pin, (I use
tacks, but it's all the same method), is that the hole will stay the same. It
should be noted that the hole can actually be slightly smaller than the
damper wire. Too many techs want to ream the hole so that the wire wobbles
from side to side, which is why we rebush in the first place. But I found
that the damper can actually have a little resistance, and still work
perfectly well. The only time there are problems with the damper wire
sticking is when it doesn't ride straight up and down. That is when knowing
how to bend those wires becomes an art in itself.

Willem