Rebushing S&S Damper Rail

Farrell mfarrel2@tampabay.rr.com
Fri, 29 Sep 2000 21:25:41 -0400

----- Original Message -----
From: <Wimblees@AOL.COM>
To: <pianotech@ptg.org>
Sent: Friday, September 29, 2000 8:25 PM
Subject: Re: Rebushing S&S Damper Rail

> In a message dated 9/29/00 11:40:40 AM Central Daylight Time,
> smccloud@ix.netcom.com writes:
>
> << Paul:
>      I am just finishing my rebush job, using two strips of felt.  I was
>  wondering, since I sized the holes with a bridge pin, and the pin is
>  very tight, will the hole close up after some time and moisture
>  changes?  I fear that although the holes are just right now, maybe I'll
>  be doing some bushings again in the future.
>      Paul McCloud >>
>

> My experience with rebushing the guide rail, and using the bridge pin, (I
use
> tacks, but it's all the same method), is that the hole will stay the same.
It
> should be noted that the hole can actually be slightly smaller than the
> damper wire. Too many techs want to ream the hole so that the wire wobbles
> from side to side, which is why we rebush in the first place.

I wouldn't think this would apply to Steinway. My understanding of the
Steinway damper rail design is that the wire is supposed to have play - it
should lean to one side - quite unlike other manufacturers.

> But I found
> that the damper can actually have a little resistance, and still work
> perfectly well.

Is this your experience with Steinway damper guide rails?. I have been
curious whether there would be any advantage/disadvantage to going to a more
snug damper wire fit on a Steinway.

>The only time there are problems with the damper wire
> sticking is when it doesn't ride straight up and down. That is when
knowing
> how to bend those wires becomes an art in itself.
>
> Willem

Thanks for any clarification/insight you can provide.

Terry Farrell
Piano Tuning & Service
Tampa, Florida
mfarrel2@tampabay.rr.com