felt knuckles????

John R Fortiner pianoserv440@juno.com
Fri, 29 Sep 2000 22:37:28 -0600

Sheeeeeeeesh!  I never figured that asking that simple question would
open up so large a discussion.  FYI the S&S "L" that I was referring to
is #403416.
The knuckles that I refer to as felt ARE felt, not some other material.
They do have a wood core and - much to my amazement are quite round.  The
leather covered ones on the other hand - well, let's say I've seen better
- as in they are quite flat :-(
I didn't measure the knuckle diameter, but I do know that they were quite
a bit larger than the leather covered ones.  This coming Tuesday I will
get the chance to make that measurement.
That action is coming into the shop for a major renovation - new hammers,
shanks, repititions, backchecks.
Shanks are felt, not teflon bushed.

John R. Fortiner
Billings, MT.