ivory grain

David Love lovedg@hotmail.com
Sat, 30 Sep 2000 04:49:31 GMT

Newton/Farrell:

The wear idea seems to make sense except that the keyboard in question is
uniformely grainy from top to bottom.  It is unlikely that the keyboard
would have received uniform playing to accomplish such an effect.  Clearly
the keytops were made that way. (Farrell:  I am not refering to cupping,
that is something quite different).  However, the idea that some of the
rings are softer makes sense and I wonder if the keytops aren't etched to
break down the softer rings and, in effect, raise the grain.  This also
suggests that a replacement keytop may not have the same consistency and
therefore not respond in the same way to a new etch.  Any thoughts???

David Love