Agraffes / prssure bars

Richard Moody remoody@midstatesd.net
Fri, 29 Sep 2000 22:56:11 -0500

> I personally
> wouldn't hesitate to consider agraffes in the bass and tenor sections on
> grand pianos as more advantageous than pressure bars.
>
> Keith McGavern

There are advantages of pressure bars (capo) in grands over agraffes in the
extreme treble.  By using the overhead "pressure bar"  the hammer can hit
the string at any point up to its upper termination.   With agraffes, the
striking point is pushed further down the string because of clearance
problems.  The main advantage of agraffes is maintaining string spacing
while allowing more freedom of placement of tuning pins.  At least one
piano, the Chickering Aniversary Grand  had half agraffes screwed into the
pressure bar, thus getting the best of both worlds.  Agraffes are not only
more advantageous as Keith mentions but I think imperitive in the bass
sections as string spacing must be constant and consistant to allow  wedge
dampers to work.  ---ric