Bridge pins.

Ron Nossaman RNossaman@KSCABLE.com
Tue, 03 Apr 2001 22:52:12 -0500

>I am working on a 1994 Petrov console. I am getting false beats in several
>notes from the treble break and up due to loose bridge pins. When I first
>serviced the piano 6 months ago, I told the client to seal off a heat
>register that is 3 feet from the piano. When I serviced it today the
>register was open and the piano was 5 cents flat.
>I am contemplating putting in a damp chaser, (it would be my first.) My
>question is: Would getting the humidity up correct the loose bridge pin
>problem or will I have to resort to more drastic measures to get rid of the
>false beats?
>Any thoughts would be appreciated.
>
>Louis Verkoelen

Starting with the "define the problem" item on the list, what was the RH%
reading in the room at the time? What was it 6 months ago when you last
tuned it? In this part of the country, 5 cents in six months isn't good for
any sympathy at all, much less a Dampp-Chaser. Here, it's called being
spoiled, but the situation and expectations could be entirely different
where you are. The Dampp chaser might tighten up the pin somewhat,
depending on what the answers are to the first two questions, but it's not
something you can count on. It should, however, slow further deterioration
by minimizing humidity swings. That's providing that the owners are better
at keeping it plugged in and filling the tank than they are at keeping the
nearby register closed. Incidentally, if that register is 3 feet to the
side of the piano and not blowing directly on it, it's not really that much
of a factor.

Ron N