agraffes

jolly roger baldyam@sk.sympatico.ca
Thu, 12 Apr 2001 19:46:48 -0500

At 07:13 PM 4/12/01 -0400, you wrote:
>So what shape should they be? And exactly with what tool and how do you go
>about reaming a new, improperly shaped agraffe?
>
>Terry Farrell
>Piano Tuning & Service
>Tampa, Florida
>mfarrel2@tampabay.rr.com

Hi Terry,
              On all of rebuilds we now ream the agraffe holes even when
replacing the agraffes with new ones.
Piano tech part# AR-12 used in a pin vice does a great job of cleaning and
polishing the hole. with correct geometry.  The less pressure you use on
the tool the more polished the surface.
Pianotech #2332 is used to counter bore the agraffe to set the correct
angle and elevation. In combination with .010" brass shims.
It's a tedious job, but well worth the effort.  No Zings, and better string
levelling.
Regards Roger