duplex bars

David Love davidlovepianos@hotmail.com
Sat, 14 Apr 2001 16:54:27 -0000

Del:

To continue an ongoing discussion, I have some questions re your article in
the PTJ August 1995.  I am restringing a ca 1978 SS Model B.  One of the
problems is that it is very noisy in the capo section.  I believe this
problem can be traced in part to the capo bar being poorly shaped, which I
will remedy.  However, I am also concerned about the shape/position of the
duplex bars.  After rereading your article it occurs to me that some of the
noise problems may be due to the poor shape of the duplex bars (they are
very flattened), possibly the angle (though I have yet to measure it), and
the position (a tuned duplex).

My questions are:

1.  Is there a method to relocating the cast duplex bars and would you
recommend it?  There is a small shelf in the plate forward of the existing
duplex bars.  Would you consider attaching an inverted V-shaped piece of
something (brass?) in order to shorten the duplex segment?  If so, what
would you use and how would you attach it?  How would you calculate the
position, i.e., what should the length of the duplex be as a ratio of the
speaking length?

2.  Is there a method to reshaping the duplex bars (I am not pulling the
plate on this particular job), or would you consider adding a small bronze
half round to the top of the existing duplex which would both give a smaller
radius and increase the string deflection angle?  If so, do you still adhere
to a maximum deflection angle of 18-20 degrees?  How would you attach the
half-round?  And what specific material would you use?

3.  Do you think these things are likely to improve this problem, or should
I be barking up another tree (pun intended)?

Thanks

David Love