1/3 Comma Meantone Tuning

Billbrpt@AOL.COM Billbrpt@AOL.COM
Sun, 15 Apr 2001 12:56:44 EDT

In a message dated 4/15/01 10:30:42 AM Central Daylight Time,
remoody@midstatesd.net (Richard Moody) writes:

> Yes.  1/3 comma MT is supposed to give pure minor 3rds  but after that
> what other results? The theoritical ramifications must be much but I
> have never seen discussions on this, execpt that Zarlino (sp?) back in
> 15xx proposed it. Has anyone tried this?  But practically 1/4 MT is as
> far from ET as one can get other than on the other side with

Richard,

I appreciate the fact that you are an aural tuner.  I was too exclusively for
over 20 years until I was finally persuaded to buy and learn to use the SAT.
My first experience with the 1/4 Comma Meantone was an aural tuning on my own
piano at home.  It's true that you can tune a "pure" 3rd first, then tune 2
tempered 5ths which you can "even out" to where they will meet the resultant
pure 3rds that is desired.

As far as aural tuning goes, I know of no better approach.  It must be true
as well that in the days when this tuning was really used, the days of
harpsichords and the early pipe organs, people must simply have done the best
they could even if they knew the mathematical theories.  I would agree with
some of the other statements I have read from you about other fractions of
the Comma.  How could anyone tune accurately a 1/3, 2/7, 3/10, 1/5 or any
other theoretical fraction of 21.5?

For that matter, how could anyone look at a list of irrational numbers for
any temperament, including ET, adjust them for Inharmonicity and proceed to
tune with unquestionable accuracy?  I have heard that there is an aural test
for a pure 3rd but I don't know what it is.  Also, I don't know of a test for
a 2:1 (the so-called "pure") octave although I know and use the tests for 4:2
and 6:3 octaves and the tests for pure 4ths and 5ths.

The next time I had the challenge of tuning the 1/4 Comma Meantone was for a
recital Owen Jorgensen was giving at the PTG Annual Convention in Dearborn.
I had proposed testing a theory I had for using the SAT to construct a
Meantone Temperament of any fraction of the Comma that may be called for.  I
had first used my idea with the 1/7 Comma Meantone, not having been able to
be sure about following the aural instructions given in Owen's first
publication, Tuning the HT's by Ear.

I declined to use deviations of an FAC program because I did not trust either
the FAC calculation nor anyone's calculation of the so-called "Correction
Figures".  While I know that most people attempting to tune HT's are doing it
this way, I dislike the idea as a matter of principal, to simply use someone
else's calculations with no way of verifying them myself.  What I did was
along the lines of a Direct Interval approach where the SAT can show that
coincident partials match exactly to create a pure interval or also show that
one is tempered by exactly the desired and/or calculated amount.

I worked up in Owen's room while he was practicing 16th Century music on an
Electronic Keyboard in ET (Uhggg!).  When I showed what I had come up with,
he agreed that it looked correct so I was ready to go down and try it on the
piano.  If it didn't work, the piano's temperament could have been done
aurally, stored in the SAT and worked with from that point.  It turns out
that my idea did work.

The piano I used was a 7 foot Kawai RX-6 Grand that had inharmonicity in the
low end of the moderate range.  As I recall, the 5ths ended up each being
tuned 5.2 cents narrow (instead of the theoretical -5.38).  This caused the
3rds which were supposed to be pure theoretically, to end up tempered 0.8
cents wide.  Whatever beat there may have been was imperceptible.

The advantage in using the SAT, of course was the ability to control the size
of the intervals precisely to 1/10th of 1 cent and thus have the results be
impeccable.  The idea of not stretching the octaves the way I usually do came
from Owen.  His instructions were to tune the Meantone with "minimal stretch"
and to tune the octaves of the other piano which was tuned in Thomas Young #1
with "optimum stretch".  He was pleased with both tunings and it was
interesting to compare the difference in where the high treble ended up
between both pianos.

I must say that the Meantone piano sounded very strange to me.  All of the
resonance it had when tuned in ET had been removed.  Although it still had
the same sustain, the pure sounding chords sounded "dead" to me and quite
odd, something like the odd way that antique instruments such as the viol
sounds compared to the modern versions of that instrument, the violin family
sound when they are played in the typical manner of today.

Even as a vocalist, I struggle with the sound required by early music.  I
have worked so hard on developing a broad range and a controlled vibrato and
use of portamento that I have a difficult time singing with a "pure" sound
that might be appropriate for early music such as Gregorian Chant.  I much
prefer the Romantic sound of 19th Century Italian Opera and 20th Century
Musical Theater.

So, my experience with the 1/3 Comma Meantone has only been by using the SAT
in the same manner as above.  Yes, it produces pure minor 3rds and the Major
3rds are actually tempered narrow!  It was known to be used by the 16th
Century composer, Thomas Salinas.  To me, it has a very mournful, "dripping"
sound.  The chords seem to be "melting" the way that images in a Salvador
Dali painting do.  I can imagine that funeral music in 1/3 Comma Meantone
might bring tears to the eyes quite effectively.

I also recognized a sound from the "Wolf" keys that I have heard from the
opposite side of the world in the Gamelon music from Southeast Asia.  The
scales and tonalities of music from that corner of the world are completely
different and incompatible with Western Music values (and I'm not talking
about Waylon & Willie and the Boys either), particularly those of strict ET.

Listening to Gamelon music can open your ears to the fact that the world does
not revolve around ET and that there are other kinds of sounds which are just
as musical but do require getting used to hearing.

I have often seen it written that Debussy's music should only be played in
ET.  Of course, it all sounds smooth and nice that way but here is the
challenge:  Listen to some Gamelon music, then prepare 2 pianos, one in ET
and the other in 1/3 Comma Meantone.  Then hear for yourself that Debussy has
actually captured the essence of a Gamelon Orchestra in his composition and
that the modern piano can really mimmic this sound if tuned this way.  The ET
version will pale in comparison,  sounding about as removed from authentic as
a bad, fast food egg roll from an American Chinese restaurant compares with
real Chinese food prepared in the traditional way.

You'll definitely need a piano where you are free to do something radical,
however.  The "Wolf" will end up being 55 cents wide!  Even if your A is
tuned at 440, your G# (Ab), will end up at -25 cents and your Eb will end up
at +30 cents!  This will really upset the usual tuning of the piano so you
would not want to do it on a really fine, expensive instrument.

It's worth the adventure though if you can find the right piano to take a
trip through a "black hole" to the opposite side of the world.  One further
note of interest:  it just so happens that the 12 notes of the 1/3 Comma
Meantone are the same as those of the Javanese scale and those of the
corresponding 18 tone ET scale.

Bill Bremmer RPT
Madison, Wisconsin