TuneLab goes commercial

Robert Scott rscott@wwnet.net
Sun, 15 Apr 2001 13:05:07 -0400

Tony,

For the 6:3 you have it backwards.  A 6:3 single octave refers to
the matching of the 6th partial of the lower note with the 3rd partial
of the upper note of the octave.  You got it right in your description
of a 4:1 double octave.

Similarly, 3:2 and 6:4 fifths refer to the matching of the two
different coincident partials.  The reason that they are included
as an option in the tuning curve editor is because of the interest
in the Colman perfect 5th temperament.  You may want to see how
close your particular tuning curve would come to perfect 5th
tuning.  If the curves for 5ths are confusing, don't worry about it.
The tuning curve model in TuneLab Pro is more suited to the various
octave tuning styles.

The Steinway D sample tuning file included with TuneLab Pro is
derived from inharmonicity values published in The Calculating Technician
by Dave Roberts.  Based on the measurements you took on your
Steinway D, it seems that data in Roberts is not very different.
If you like to have A0 come out to be -12 cents, then you are free to
do so.  The deviation curve in the tuning editor is just a guide.
You don't have to follow my suggestions.  In fact, I fully expect
that experienced tuners will develop there own tuning curve
criteria.  For example, try selecting 10:5 or 8:4 single octaves.
That will get you closer to -12 cents for A0 on a Steinway D.

-Robert Scott
  www.TuneLab-World.com