Associate to associate

DGPEAKE@AOL.COM DGPEAKE@AOL.COM
Wed, 25 Apr 2001 21:14:39 EDT

In a message dated 4/25/01 10:49:00 AM Pacific Daylight Time,
streit@teleport.com writes:

> I'd like to know WHY an associate won't upgrade.
>
> As an associate to associates, I don't understand why, if this is your
> profession, won't you make the effort?  Some may not be able to draw a
> linear correlation, but I expect a doctor, lawyer, or any professional that
> I am paying for a service to be tested.  They should be worth their salt.
> They feel responsibility to their profession and proudly display their
> certificates and titles.
>
> Some of these professionals are answerable to their profession such as a
> doctor to the medical board or a lawyer to the bar association, and that
> agency has the power to police its own ranks.  How do you think a doctor
> might feel about seeing an unlicensed (untested) physician practicing
> medicine, especially in view of his dedication to the hypocritical oath?
> They might be a fine physician, but there's a lot we don't know.
>
> How much more can we as associates expect to earn the recognition from our
> profession than to prove ourselves by going through the upgrade process?
> The Piano Technician's Guild is not a regulatory agency, but it does have a
> code of ethics.  You believe in this code of ethics or you would not be an
> associate or signed the back of your membership card.
>
> Another point: You may not get along with some of the other members who are
> RPTs...who cares?  Life's tough.  Get over it or through it and find
> someone else to share ideas with. You're entitled to your opinion, they are
> entitled to theirs.  Technique may differ, but the quality end product
> should be the same for us all.  The trick is to find someone(s) you can
> learn with and from, and DON'T GET COCKY.  It irks others and it's the
> first dangerous step to having a closed mind. You can't learn anymore till
> you get rid of that attitude.  Nada...Zip.
>
> Being an RPT in the Piano Technician's Guild does triple duty, it ensures
> quality to the consumer, respect from your peers, and confidence in our
> profession.
>
> I expect to get some garbage and prejudice in reply, but I also think there
> can be some valuable information brought out.
>
> David Streit
> Associate (But not for long)
> AAA Piano Service
> Portland, Oregon

I agree with you, Dave, but the reason Associates will not upgrade is because
of the way the PTG is. Yes, there are Associates that are happy to be where
they are. But allowing Associates to advertize like RPT's do creates a
problem.

The public does not know the difference between an Associate or RPT. Not to
say that a Associate can tune, repair, or regulatate actions as well as an
RPT, but the danger that an Associate will do less than quality service.
Since the PTG is there to promote excellence this does not bode well.

I agree that Doctors, lawyers should be tested. It is an industry that is
hightly regulated. But our industry is not. And I would not like to have it
regulated because where do you start? I would not want some outside authority
tell what I can or cannot do.

That said, I still believe more Associates should upgrade. Be the best you
can be. Work towards the status of being an RPT and feel the sense of
accomplishment.

Keep up the good work, Dave, you are not far from your goal!

Dave Peake, RPT (and proud to be one)
Portland Chapter
Oregon City, OR
www.davespianoworks.locality.com