Restoring old uprights

Farrell mfarrel2@tampabay.rr.com
Sun, 12 Aug 2001 21:06:18 -0400

Hi John. The holes on most plates with no bushings are a tad less than 3/8"
and so the plugs are not an option for these plates. The holes in plates
with bushings are usually in the range of 7/16" or 13/32" - too small for
the 1/2" plug but fine for the 3/8" plug. The 1/2" plug is to be used after
plate removal. In the several plug jobs I have done, I have always removed
the plate and therefore always used the 1/2" plugs.

Regarding plugs twisting. I'm sure it is fine to use tite-bond or something
similar. I have a (?irrational?) fear of these kinds of glues that require a
tight fit for good bonding in an application like this. "If the fit is good
and tight - how will I get the glue in there in the first place?" So that I
can sleep at night, I drill the hole a tad big (17/32"), dump in a shot of
West System epoxy (no fillers) and drop the plug in so that it overflows up
the sides. Process goes real fast, you don't even have to cut a slot in the
side of the plug. I leave a little epoxy on top because some of it always
drains into the old block (into cracks, etc. making it a very solid unit I
suspect). The next day I simply grind the top down with a belt sander in 5
or 10 minutes max. Remember, tite-bond REQUIRES a tight fit - epoxy REQUIRES
a small gap.

Also, if I were plugging with the plate on, I would think twice about using
epoxy......as I would be concerned about epoxying the plate to the block!

I just plugged the old square grand I am rebuilding/refurbishing. Not one
single plug was drilled into by the adjacent plug (no overlapping plugs).
How nice - everthing so spread out!

One last thing on plugging. I have always put in a few extra plugs to do
some torque testing on (like maybe even more than a few - like a have a 3 x
3 array of plugs in the square grand - although you could arrange them
in...perhaps...a smiley face). Drill 'em with different size drills and
pound in your pins and test for optimal torque. Especially when you are
buying ready-made plugs (like I have been doing) you never know exactly what
kind of block they were made from, so torque certainly has the potential to
vary from batch to batch. Test plugs are then covered by plate.   :-)
(Won't somebody get a kick out of it when they pull the plate 50 years from
now?)

Just Plugging Along
Terry Farrell