Restoring old uprights

Mike and Jane Spalding mjbkspal@execpc.com
Mon, 13 Aug 2001 22:00:40 -0500

Roy,

Lee Valley Tools, www.leevalley.com, has a line of carbide tipped plug =
cutters that do a super job.  I have used their 3/8 cutter to make plugs =
for the bass section of a pinblock.  I'm not sure I would want to cut =
enough (228!!) to plug an entire pinblock.  You need a drill press, a =
hand drill will not allow you to control size and shape of the plugs.  =
material, not solid maple, and to make a solid glue joint around all =
surfaces of the plug. =20
=20
As far as drilling for the pins, here's two ideas:
 - I have made a fixture for my drill press to clamp a plug and drill a =
.250 pilot hole for the pin.  The fixture ensures the pilot hole is in =
the center of the plug.  After the plug has been glued into the piano, I =
can hand drill for the pin, and be reasonable on-center.
 - Reblitz, in the section of his book on drilling pinblocks, has a =
sketch of a modified drill press sitting on a plank resting on the rim =
of a piano, for drilling the block in the piano.  I've never tried this, =
but it looks like it could work if you can re-configure your drill press =
to look like th picture.

A caution:  don't assume that 7 degrees is the only correct pin angle.  =
It can depend on the piano.  You want the angle the string makes with =
the the pin, to make the string tend to climb the pin ever so slightly, =
just enough to make sure your coil won't slip down.  I've done some as =
low as 4 degrees.  If you lay the pin back too far, you won't be able to =
keep your coils tight.  However, if you don't lay the pins back far =
enough, the string may climb over the coil, especially in 20 years after =
the pins loosen up and lean forward, and someone taps them in.

Good luck!

Mike

----- Original Message -----=20