Knot tying (was:Re: Pitch Raising to A440.......Or Not?

Jon Page jon.page@verizon.net
Thu, 23 Aug 2001 07:46:53 -0400

At 05:15 AM 08/23/2001 -0400, you wrote:
>Nice to hear from you Patrick. There are many non-RPTs on this list just
>trying to progress forward. Like me! I have finally learned one splice knot.
>I carry a photo-copy of the various stages of tying it in my string tool
>box. I don't worry about referring to it. If a customer looks cross-eyed at
>me for looking at it during a repair, I just give them some kind of garbage
>about being soo good at pitch raising that I so seldom break a string (ha,
>ha). Good luck. Someone with more experience than me will convey some good
>tips for tying splice knots.
>
>Terry Farrell

http://mmd.foxtail.com/Archives/Digests/200001/2000.01.16.10.html
http://mmd.foxtail.com/Pictures/knot.html

These url's have descriptions for tying a knot in wire. The second has
a photo I took of larger wire for illustration.

After the splice has been installed, cut the wire 3 fingers from the pin.
This will account for 'take-up' while bringing the string to pitch and end
up with three coils.

For a normal wire replacement turn the pin back 3/4 turn so the becket
is located at 5:00. For splicing, place the becket at 11:00 (another half
turn).

It's knot difficult,
Jon Page,   piano technician
Harwich Port, Cape Cod, Mass.