Yamaha Butt Spring Cord

Farrell mfarrel2@tampabay.rr.com
Thu, 23 Aug 2001 07:52:41 -0400

We all have seen the broken cords on the hammer butt springs on Yamaha
uprights. Perhaps many of us have replaced a set. I have several Yamaha
uprights with this condition (several to many broken cords) in my service
clientele. I don't play. I tune them. I hit the key and the hammer returns.
So what difference does the spring/cord make? I can see that if you had slow
action centers, it would make a difference, or if you were an advanced
pianist, the quicker returning hammer might make a difference. I guess a
broken cord should also cause a reduction in downweight and a decrease in
upweight, and therefore an overall decrease in performance, i.e. less
expression control because of too light a downweight and slower repetition
because of slower key return.

Hmmmm. Did I just answer my own question? I think I may have. Anything else
I have missed? Thanks.

P.S. how many hours do ya'll figer to replace 88 butts, align hammers &
travel? Maybe 12 to 14 hours? Has anyone any experience with other hammers
on Yamaha uprights?

Terry Farrell