stripper comparison

gutlo gutlo@bestweb.net
Sun, 31 Dec 2000 22:22:29 -0500

----------
> From: Greg Newell <gnewell@ameritech.net>
> To: pianotech@ptg.org
> Subject: Re: stripper comparison
> Date: Sunday, December 31, 2000 2:21 AM
>
> Arthur,
>     I am going to copy the post I made to both Pianotech and Master Piano
Tech.
> [...]
>

> gutlo wrote:
>
> > > Date: Saturday, December 30, 2000 12:48 PM
> > >
> > > Arthur,
> > >
> > > You mentioned you would post the results of the comparisons you were
> > > going to make between different finish strippers.  If you posted them
> > > the list, I missed it. Have you finished your experiment?  Is the
> > > verdict in?
> > >
> > > John Voigt
> > >
> > > Yes, John and List, the verdict is in.
> >
> > I tested Woodfinisher's Pride, Savogran NMP-based stripper, Citristrip,
and
> > Dyna 2.
> >
> > The winner, by any measure, by a huge margin is Dyna 2.
> >
> > WP, Savogran, and Citripstrip are all gels.  They are prone to dripping
and
> > sagging on vertical surfaces, must be re-applied (sometimes 3 times) to
be
> > effective, and even then don't strip down to the bare wood.  They have
> > pronounced odor (especially Citristrip) and take around 1 hour for each
> > application to work.
> >
> > Dyna 2 is a heavy paste.  No matter how much you pile on, it will not
drip
> > or sag.  It has extremely low odor because its NMP penetrates down into
the
> > coating, not evaporating into the air.  It forms a skin as it works,
and
> > one hour later, it peels off like a banana skin, revealing the bare
wood.

> > Its green color acts like an inidicator-when it starts to turn dark
brown,
> > it's time to test scrape with a spatula.
> >
> > These tests were performed on an 1876 Knabe with the original varnish
> > finish-very thick and very hard.
> >
> > The savings in labor and material with Dyna 2 are significant.  The
virtual
> > absence of odor is important, as most of us work in small shops where
> > ventilation in the cold weather can be a problem.
> >
> > Dyna 2 has been available in commercial quantities sold directly to big
> > industrial users.  The company has graciously allowed StarHawk Labs to
be a
> > sort of beta tester.  They have shipped me 6, 1/2 pint containers with
tech
> > data sheets to give to interested parties on the list.  If the feedback
is
> > good, StarHawk will become a distributor.
> >
> > Dyna 2 will cost $48/gallon.  Citristrip sells in New York for $21/half
> > gallon.  This makes Dyna 2 an incredible bargain, at only $6/gallon
more,
> > for far greater performance and efficiency.
> >
> > The first 6 respondents to this posting will received, free of charge,
the
> > half pint.  I only ask that you post your opinions, good or bad.  Email
> > your snailmail address.
> >
> > Arthur Grudko
> > StarHawk Labs, Manufacturer of PianoLac, the Waterborne That Works

Quite the opposite-your post is most welcome, as it expresses the likely
objections of many potential customers.

You won't be getting a quart, but you will be receiving a 1/2 pint (as are
all the other respondents).  Use it as per instructions, and if you have
any concern for health and profitability, I'm sure you'll agree that Dyna 2
is the best thing to hit piano stripping since the invention of the spatula
(huh?).

Arthur Grudko