Cuban soundboards was Mahogany

larudee@pacbell.net larudee@pacbell.net
Mon, 01 Jan 2001 12:13:41 -0800

I have been told by my colleague Armando Gomez Pina in Cuba that one of the
Cuban piano manufacturers of more than 50 years ago used to use a local
evergreen for soundboards.  According to him it was too stiff, but had the
virtue of being vermin-proof, which is a very great virtue indeed in a climate
where the comagen termite (carpenter ant, so I'm told) can make a meal of fine
instruments.  (Newton can attest to this.)

The east European instruments are especially vulnerable because of the high
glucose content of the woods used, or so Armando says.  Certainly they tend to
be especially attractive to these beasts.

I've proposed to various PTG Convention directors on various occasions to invite
Armando and two of his colleagues to give a talk on this and other unique
aspects of servicing pianos in Cuba at the convention, but no luck so far.  If
anyone thinks this is a good idea, perhaps you can voice your support.

Paul S. Larudee