Over there! Way out over there

Clark caccola@net1plus.com
Mon, 01 Jan 2001 15:16:05 -0200

Hi, Bill,

> The Earl of Stanhope (my personal hero) dropping that load of
> pamphlets on the table to make a loud "thud"

Their target, John Farey, sr. at least matched this volume of pamphlets
and articles (I posted an exerpt a while back) and was an enthusiastic
supporter of real work by Liston, et. al. with 17, 24, and 60+ pitches
per octave. As I recall, it was he who proved Stanhope presented two
temperaments, apparently each definitive and both of which cannot be
present on a single 12-tone instrument. Formerly where mechanical
complexity prevented the further development of more capable
instruments, today any number of means are employed for the practical
realization of music, tempered or otherwise even for real-time
performance. So far as our own field of interest, David Loberg Code's
Groven Piano project is a logical extension of Liston's multiplexed
organs (or even Huygens' _31 meantone_ transposing keyboards, for that
matter) <http://eeyore.cc.wmich.edu/~code/groven/>, Clark Battle posted
some queries here not too long ago regarding his own special design (Del
- did you get to see it?), and while not the greatest example, Sauter
currently is reproducing Julian Carillo's metamorphoser pianos
(originally built by them fifty years ago, one of several manufacturers
that built extended-tuning pianos during the first half of the 20th
century).

Clark