Glenn Gould & Yamaha Preference

Chris Gregg cgregg@cadvision.com
Mon, 01 Jan 2001 19:52:47 -0700

John,
	Just a note that Ted Sambell was Glens Gould's' piano tuner for twenty
four years, and recommended the other guy to Glen.  Ted has mentioned on
several occasions that he never received any recognition for this.

Chris Gregg

At 03:52 PM 1/1/2001 -0500, you wrote:
>>Does anyone know why Glenn Gould switched from mostly playing Steinways to
>>playing Yamahas for the latter part of his life? I know he had his favorite
>>Chickering when young, etc.
>
>>Terry Farrell
>>Piano Tuning & Service
>>Tampa, Florida
>>mfarrel2@tampabay.rr.com
>
>Terry,
>
>Just for you, I called Glenn's piano technician (now retired) in Toronto.
>
>Apparently, they were having "trouble" with Steinway. He didn't elaborate
on whether it was mechanical or tonal, or with Steinway or the Toronto
dealer, but trouble enough to have the technician suggest that Glenn try a
Yamaha. The result of this try is history. As for his use of a Chickering
in his youth, I forgot to ask. We had too many other things to catch up on.

>If you'd like the technician's name and address for corresponding
purposes, please email me privately.

 http://www.cadvision.com/cgregg