Effect of pitch raise 440-443 and back

Lance Lafargue lancelafargue@bellsouth.net
Tue, 2 Jan 2001 09:07:23 -0600

Hey Bill and Phil, hope I'm not overstating the obvious, but I'm sure that
being careful of the amount of overpull is important.  (not pulling anything
any higher than absolutely neccessary) The SAT vs aural may help with that I
think.  Good luck, look forward the hearing other's
experience/advice....good question.

Lance Lafargue, RPT
Mandeville, LA
New Orleans Chapter, PTG
lancelafargue@bellsouth.net

-----Original Message-----
From: owner-pianotech@ptg.org [mailto:owner-pianotech@ptg.org]On Behalf
Of Phil Bondi
Sent: Tuesday, January 02, 2001 7:08 AM
To: pianotech@ptg.org
Subject: Re: Effect of pitch raise 440-443 and back

Bill,

If you've never done a pitch raise on a Concert Instrument before, the first
experience is probably going to be a little nerve wracking(?).  I do a 442
raise on a "D" on average of 2x a year, and it has older wire and
questionable rendering in spots, and with the advice from people on this
list, the 'experience' of raising and lowering pitch on a Concert Instrument
was minimized with kind words and sound advice.

The CFlll will probably be a little more 'receptive' to a raise than the
D..I do have limited experience with the CFlll, but if I had one to work
with, it would be my guess that it would be more responsive to the raise
than the "D" or the "SD" that I also have at my disposal..that's just my
experience.

If you do not have a 'pitch policy' in place where you do this work, now
might be a good time to discuss it with whoever you talk to backstage. Last
year, I was asked to raise the D to 444 and I 'respectfully declined'
stating stability as my main concern..as it turns out, they were happy with
442.

I don't feel you will have false beats with the CFlll if they're not there
now..again, that is my limited experience talking..I would be more concerned
with stability, especially Octave 6.

roo(k)