"pulley" keys

JIMRPT@AOL.COM JIMRPT@AOL.COM
Tue, 2 Jan 2001 11:26:55 EST

Howard wrote;

<<" Yes, I am using the appropriate tool, entering it from the
top of the key, and then turning it 90 degrees before easing. I am very
careful not to ease top and bottom but only left and right. What are your
thoughts?">>

Howard;
 If you are "turning it 90 degrees before easing" what you are doing is
easing the front and back of the hole rather than the sides. :-(
  I find that different keys react differently to easing. 'Usually' though I
find that if the tool is inserted, turned a smidge (10 degrees or so), then
the key 'eased' through aprox. 70 degrees it does the job without creating
"pulley keys". This manner of easing gets the side grain without disturbing
the front and back of the hole. Since individual key sets will have different
characteristics, even different sections of the same keyset, care must be
taken when employing the CA tool. (What works with one set of keys will not
needfully work with the next set so experiment judiciously.)  Great results
from it though.
My thoughts.
 Jim Bryant (FL)