"pulley" keys

Tue, 2 Jan 2001 13:45:25 -0800

----- Original Message -----
From: "Lance Lafargue" <lancelafargue@bellsouth.net>
To: <pianotech@ptg.org>
Sent: January 02, 2001 10:15 AM
Subject: RE: "pulley" keys

> Hey Del,
> Maybe I'm confused about the goal and the ideal key/pin relationship.
> Shouldn't the very bottom of the hole be _slightly_ larger than the pin?

Not really. I would prefer to have the hole and pin size-on-size. That is,
no free play whatsoever, but not binding either. When lifted slightly at the
front and released, the key should just drop back in place or get there with
just the slightest tickle.

> Essentially what you are doing with a traditional tool is forming a V
where
> the base of the V is slightly larger than the hole.

Depends on what you are calling the 'traditional tool.' The tool I use is a
tapered rod, flattened on two sides. It is used from the top of the key,
i.e., through the bushing. It tapers the hole from the top down.

> I am just coming in
> from the bottom and exactly doing that leaving the upper portion alone.
And
> _if the upper portion is not effecting the key_, wouldn't that be the most
> accurate way?

Nope.

Check the supply catalogs and look for a tool either made by Yamaha or
copied from theirs. You'll see what I mean. You use it from the top.

Del