Mahogany was Wood & Humidity

Brian Trout btrout@desupernet.net
Tue, 2 Jan 2001 21:46:43 -0500

Interesting ideas here in this thread.  Thanks guys.

The idea of laminated soundboards has me musing over this little poser...

If we're dealing with a laminated soundboard panel, how important is grain
direction?  Seriously, if it is a laminated panel, it probably has grain
going in at least two directions already.  If the grain of the 'exterior'
laminations is going in what would appear the conventional orientation, it
might be possible that there may be a core who's grain is running about 90
degrees to that.  Would a change in core material (just for argument's sake
I'll say from red fir in the treble to eastern white pine in the bass),
somewhere in the mid tenor region perhaps, be a way to lessen the overall
stiffness in the bass end of the panel and provide a more flexible / more
movable transducer (is that the right word?) in the bass end of the panel
while keeping the top end more stiff ?

As an aside, I did see an example of a laminated spruce soundboard in a new
piano recently.  (I can't remember the name, was it Story & Clark maybe?)
They used a solid spruce core and spruce laminations on both sides.  I did
think it was somewhat fascinating that someone would go to that trouble,
although I would think it might be slightly more stable with changes in
humidity.

Interesting thread.

Best wishes,

Brian Trout