"pulley" keys

Wed, 03 Jan 2001 09:10:01 +0100

Delwin D Fandrich wrote:

> [...]

If the key is too tight and will not fall into place you can experience key
leveling problems... ie the keys wont "stay" level.  The little buggers seem to
like to "climbe" the balance rail pin a bit and stay there... gets untidy...
causes regulation problems... no they have to slip down..

On the other hand any more then just enough to slip back into place can cause
all kinds of other problems... clacky action noises.. backcheck problems in
grands, accelerated wear on keybushings... and other things..

Ergo... "snug" is often the word used to describe the fit.

> > Essentially what you are doing with a traditional tool is forming a V
> where
> > the base of the V is slightly larger than the hole.

Why would you think this is the case ? Think about it for a bit... And if you
come in from the bottom when the hole is already contoured from the top,,, then
you actually are changing your "V" to a double "V"... with the points meeting.
Try coming in from the top the next few times you do this job. I think you will
find it easier to get consistant results

--
Richard Brekne
RPT, N.P.T.F.