Mahogany was Wood & Humidity

Ron Nossaman RNossaman@KSCABLE.com
Wed, 03 Jan 2001 07:19:04 -0600

>The idea of laminated soundboards has me musing over this little poser...

Me too. Though I haven't built one, a few possibilities have occurred to
me, some of which may even be valid... maybe not.

>If we're dealing with a laminated soundboard panel, how important is grain
>direction?

With a solid spruce panel, you can steer the stiffness of the panel
somewhat with grain angle from the belly bar, and rib angle relative to the
grain. Like you said, the laminated panel could be made stiffer in one
direction, like the spruce panel, and get a similar effect. Reproducing a
spruce panel with a laminated one with the same or similar physical
characteristics doesn't teach us much of anything though, and that's what
has been the problem with attempting to use laminated panels in pianos. Not
much has been done to learn to accommodate the characteristics of the
medium. I would like to approach it from starting with a dirt dumb simple
cheaply and quickly produced isotropic panel and attempting to find out
what it takes to make it behave like a real soundboard. What would be a
good material to build it out of? I would think something of a stiffness,
elastic recovery, internal friction, and strength to weight ratio average
somewhere between spruce and mahogany, would be attainable as a start. It
needn't necessarily even be wood.

Since the laminated board doesn't have the flexibility across grain
(roughly parallel with the ribs) like a spruce board, and would necessarily
be denser than spruce, I would think it couldn't be as thick as a spruce
panel. Say 4 millimeters as a starting point, depending on the actual
stiffness of the material used. That ought to give us adequate flexibility
along the ribs, but too much along the bridge. Since I don't really know
how much support the long grain stiffness of the spruce panel ties the
entire diaphragm of the board together, I'd probably try more, and smaller
ribs than "usual" to minimize panel flexibility between ribs without adding
unnecessary weight. I'd expect to have to pay closer attention to bridge
placement, proximity to the rim, positioning on the ribs, and overall
length and cross sectional dimensions for stiffness control, rather than
relying on the anisotropic characteristics of spruce to stiffen the
assembly along the bridge line. I might want to add a couple of ribs on top
of the panel, as further compensation. Then again, it might not prove to be
necessary.

Since I couldn't get the added panel support resulting from a moderate
drying and re expansion after assembly, I'd dish the rib press more than
the machined crown(s) of the ribs to build in a little panel compression.
Normally, a soundboard assembly acts as a variable rate spring, with
resistance increasing as it is loaded. Most of this comes from panel
compression, and the thicker the panel, the steeper the spring rate
gradient. It's a leverage thing. With my expected thinner panel, I would
think I'd have to dish it a little deeper, leaving more compressive force
along the ribs, to get a similar action. Then again, maybe not. The first
one built should give some indication either way.

After pondering on all this stuff, and a lot more, through the building of
the first one, I'd string it up, listen to the result, think about what I
could do differently to correct the initial mistakes, and build another
one. Re think, rough in, experiment, refine. Repeat as necessary, as long
as possible.

I'm interested. I wish I could afford to try it.

>As an aside, I did see an example of a laminated spruce soundboard in a new
>piano recently.  (I can't remember the name, was it Story & Clark maybe?)
>They used a solid spruce core and spruce laminations on both sides.  I did
>think it was somewhat fascinating that someone would go to that trouble,
>although I would think it might be slightly more stable with changes in
>humidity.
>
>Brian Trout

Wurlitzer used (uses?) one like this. I don't know who else has tried it.

Regards,
Ron N