Mahogany was Wood & Humidity

Ron Nossaman RNossaman@KSCABLE.com
Wed, 03 Jan 2001 12:39:25 -0600

>  As long as we are 'what if'ing'....would there be any reason that a "crown"
>of sorts could not be engineered into the blank panel as originally pressed?
> This would give a blank panel with crown to be backed up by machined ribs to
>reinforce the crown and/or add crown in the desired direction(s).

Hi Jim, I don't know why not, but I don't know if anything would be gained
either, and it shoots the heck out of the "off the shelf"ism of cheap quick
construction. I'd like to think it's possible to build in better sound for
the same, or lower cost than current methods. Seems to me the low cost and
uniformity would be the selling point to the manufacturers,  and the sound
produced, a point to the buyers. Win/win. Most techs probably won't like it
no matter what, so I guess that would be win/win/so what?

> Has this been done already by S&C?
>Jim Bryant (FL)

Maybe, but I doubt if S&C would because of the cost. I assume S&C bought
their panels from another supplier. Anybody know? I'm curious too.
Wurlitzer might be a more likely possibility, since they were building
their own panels in the first place. I think.

Ron N