Was it something I said?

Thu, 04 Jan 2001 09:06:18 +0100

Greg Newell wrote:

> Greetings fellow listees,
> I recently was preparing to begin the restringing
> process  and took down the tension on all the strings and removed the bass
>
> strings. Since I took down the tension about a week ago I found
> something rather startling. What began as one very shim able but not
> yet seperated crack in the board has now become 6 or more two of which
> have separated from the ribs at spots and are wide enough to see daylight
>  through. I would call the main crack to be about thick enough to slip
> a thin guitar pick through. This particular one has the wood being
> uneven on both side of the crack indicating it's separation from the ribs.
>
> Naturally this big one is right through the center of the board.
> I'd like the opinion of this list as to whether these cracks can
> or should be repaired or is it time for another board?

None of this is unusual really. Actually some recommend that you remove the
strings and place a strong lamp under the panel for some weeks to dry out
the board a good deal in order to get as many of these cracks to show up as
is possible.

> I've never left
> tension off a piano for this long before. Did I do a no no?

Nope...ya's gots to be able to remove the tension on a piano to work on it..
and sometimes this can mean a few months... no biggie in itself really..
some say there is a technique to letting down tension and bringing it up
again.. but thats another issue really.

> If it is your opinion that a new board and bridges are necessary then how
> would you go about telling the customer of this added cost?

If you see a bunch of this stuff you think is neccessary, first make sure
about it by either consulting with a local rebuilder or someone like that.
Tell the customer in a straightforward manner. Be honest and if the piano is
such that its not worth the expense you should tell her that. Do not accept
any "blame" for the developements you have seen as this kinda thing is
really to be expected.  You should in the future either warn customers of
such possible developments, or figure them into your estimate to begin with.

> Do you know anyone in the Cleveland, OH area of perhaps PA area that you
> can recommend to install a new board and do a job I could be proud to
> offer? Are there any pitfalls along the way I should look out for? What
> could I expect to pay for a board and bridges?

Cant help you there Greg... :)

> I've only subcontracted once before and I got bit really bad that
> time so I'm really gun shy.

Yes....well.. be carefull and double check and triple check the rebuilders
credentials. You live in the land of Buyer Beware... :)

--
Richard Brekne
RPT, N.P.T.F.