Was it something I said?

JIMRPT@AOL.COM JIMRPT@AOL.COM
Fri, 5 Jan 2001 06:17:19 EST

Greg wrote:
<<"  It's a grand 5'7" serial number 64958 which Pierce atlas lists as
1922">>

Greg;
 My favorite piano of all time is an A.B. Chase. It was his 'knock off' of
the S&S model 'B'. It was/is simply the BEST all around piano I have ever had
the opportunity to touch. Perhaps it is just an example of all the right
factors coming together in just one example, one time, but then I have not
ever come across a 'bad' A.B. Chase grand.....no that I see 'that' many. :-)

 If I am not mistaken they used a rib crowned board as opposed to a
compession crowned board.......... so in this instance the "cracks" you
describe are probably simply along the glue lines in between panels. If this
is the case, and the board/rib joint is still tight, you are in good shape,
relatively speaking.

 As to "replace board" or not?  I don't know........
a.) What was the crown before the tension was removed?
b.) What was the downbearing before the tension was removed?
c.) What was the sustain time?....... In all sections?
d.) How was the tone?........In all sections?
e.) What is the crown after the tension has been relieved?

 It seems as if the 'cracks' are due to environmental circumstances rather
than the 'failure' of the board....judging by your description of the
circumstances. If this is true, and the answers to a-d above (e. is 'almost'
irrelevant) are positive then perhaps only a light cosmetic shimming is in
order.  With positive answers on a-d I think I would consider for a loooong
time before using a replacement panel on this thingee, otherwise it is a
judgement call an you be de Judge!  It don gots no "hanging chads" do it? :-)

 As to value....'if' it is a typical A.B. Chase from my own experience......I
would say it is worth doing the rebuild correctly, from an instrumental point
of view........from a 'name brand' point of view it might be a different
matter. That is for the customer to decide after you have presented their
options, isn't it?
Let us know.
Jim Bryant (FL)